Difference between revisions of "King William College Quiz 2008-9"
|Line 175:||Line 175:|
# a semi-metal?
# a semi-metal?
==15) Who: [Birds]
# was morally pure in EC2?
# was morally pure in EC2?
# shot Buffalo Bill at Belvedere, Ohio?
# shot Buffalo Bill at Belvedere, Ohio?
Revision as of 23:58, 28 December 2008
This is a collaborative attempt at the King William's College Quiz by subscribers of ringing-chat (28 December 2008 on). Please add your answer below the question, with any relevant explanation in parantheses followed by your initials. Prefix the answer with #* to indent the answer without screwing up the numbering.
1) During the year 1908:
- who announced T?
- Henry Ford - TJCS
- who finished at 59 with 15 and 25?
- what confectionery was inspired by Shaw?
- Chocolate soldier - DL
- who gained her second first at an old east-coast fort?
- where did the Thomas Flyer arrive on the Asiatic mainland?
- Vladivostok - RAH
- whose birthday present was cut into nine pieces for the family headdress and other equipment?
- whose resignation pre-empted his demise by just 16 days?
- which tale launched a nouveau riche boy-racer?
- Wind in the Willows - TJCS
- for whom was Lord Hugh best man?
- what event elevated Manuel?
2) Who began what by:
- recalling unusual citrous abundance?
- describing his subject's physiognomy with a succession of v's?
- justifying the creation of a short palindromic nickname for "himself"?
- describing the emergence at dawn of a moustached little man with bowlegs?
- recalling melancholy inspiration from early evening sights and sounds in a rural churchyard?
- suggesting that it was generally accepted that a well-heeled loner must be looking for a lady?
- Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice) - Ted
- describing a studio filled with the scents of roses, lilac and pink-flowered thorn?
- describing his hero facing execution and recalling the –discovery of ice?
- recalling a send-off from family and friends at Charing Cross?
- providing an alibi for the white kitten?
- Lewis Carroll (Through the Looking-glass) - JEC
- Whose ground-breaking effort quoted Numbers XXIII, 23?
- Who wired who confirming worst fears and requesting gumboots?
- Whose telegram caused Dew to hasten westward on the Laurentic?
- Captain Henry George Kendall (SS Montrose) - RAH
- Who, on sighting the enemy, urgently requested a firearm and 300 bullets?
- Whose expression of delight was accompanied by a request for a patent oil cooking stove?
- With what single word did the defeated Governor allegedly advise cancellation of the papal travel arrangements?
- Who described a suave, Bohemian, elderly, storekeeper in the Commercial Road?
- Which repetitious message prompted the query "Does that mean Yes?"
- Who discovered a crumpled telegram reading "Suivez à Bokhare Saronov"?
- On what occasion was the royal wrath not expressed in code?
- What is the Island of Sheep?
- Soay (an island off the coast of either Skye or Hirta depending which Soay is meant) - RAS
- Where did the sea cave inspire Op 26?
- Staffa (Hebrides - Fingal's Cave) - deH
- Where was Magnus Erlendsson executed?
- What was David's gift to the Berkshire monks?
- Where did an amputated digit earn its owner the right to build a monastery?
- Where did the great grandson of King John III make his first British landfall?
- Where is the unique mutton derived from a diet of Laminaria?
- Where was quarantine enforced for 48 years?
- To what was Meg's deafness compared?
- Where was Andie Dale the prefect?
5) Travelling from Nordic lands, try unravelling:
- the eponymous traitor,
- then Merrill's famed fisherman partner
- and a misplaced cygnet,
- contrasting with a little anser,
- thousands of whose elders visit a Waddenzee barrier island,
- while in Belgium, memories of Ursula are awakened by a Flemish Primitive,
- and in the Amblève, or perhaps the Lesse, one might confusingly make geometry a sport
- and try to catch a little trout
- or even its seemingly lepidopteran relative
- before celebrating in Germany with Piesport's speciality
- was Foolish?
- was Rodrigo de Borja y Borja?
- invested Henry Sinclair as Earl of Orkney?
- had a half-sister sired by his –father's physician?
- founded a Siamese school, which was later named in his honour?
- was born on the 34th annversary of the death of his great grandfather and the 17th of that of his great aunt?
- was the offspring of parents sharing the same grandmother?
- was the 36th and last in a line started in 1299?
- was blinded by his mother Irene?
- was tripartite?
- Which language was developed by a Polish ophthalmologist?
- Esperanto - RAS
- Which language of the Romance group has a definite article suffix?
- Of which European language is the origin unknown, even to the experts?
- Basque - RAS
- Which geographically Scandinavian language is not linguistically Scandinavian?
- Finnish - DL
- Which European language is the only survivor of its branch of the Indo-European group?
- Greek - RAS
- Which Slavonic language is spoken in a country whose national language is not Slavonic?
- Wendish - DL
- Which European language is spoken by about 1% of the population of Switzerland?
- Romansh - RAS
- Which European language has a past tense form which looks like a future?
- Which Slavonic language has done away with the case forms of nouns?
- Which European national language still retains the dual number?
- Scots Gaelic - RAS
- Greek - DL
- is also a game using 28 marbles?
- formed part of a linear horti–cultural decoration?
- are typically preserved in seasoned butter in Lancashire?
- Potted shrimps - Mo
- when released in America, suggested involvement with Christine Keeler?
- are geographically confusing names of what is neither one thing nor the other?
- pelecypod was perhaps familiar to the pupils (and their successors) of Rev Thomas Langhorne?
- did the man from the Borough regard as the invariable accompaniment of poverty?
- legs are found in unbaled water together with tangled lines?
- nominally, has blue representatives in another kingdom?
- when baked too brown, must sugar his hair?
9) Journeying on what, between which termini, might one's thoughts turn to:
- elliptical orbits?
- the quintessential libertine?
- a soldier without a passport?
- the founding father of the EU?
- the royal prisoner of Sönderborg?
- Judith and three mute wives?
- clothed and naked versions?
- the mount of Bellerophon?
- melting clocks?
10) Which river:
- received the defeated Aunus?
- floats laden barges by banks of myosote?
- was central to the non-payment of a mayoral debt?
- was identified without doubt by the discovery of the initials AD
- saw Captain Schenk acquire an engineer to replace the deceased Walter?
- despite being in flood, could be crossed dry-shod following clerical plantar immersion?
- provided drinks for kine, and horses, and little humorous donkeys?
- along with Cairo was passed unnoticed by the raft in the fog?
- was a source of shelly snails and green lettuces?
- witnessed a case of unwitting filicide?
11) Who or what:
- had instinct?
- reds started as Villa?
- uniquely, got three in whose match?
- claimed continuing labial adhesiveness?
- was formerly William and succeeded Louis?
- in repetitive utterances, anticipated Glyn Daniel et al?
- described a small arm accident on 17/6/15?
- was executed at Bolton after Worcester?
- was targeted by Nat and Dermot?
- was presumptuous?
- was the mistress leguminous?
- were the Harmonic Meetings regularly held?
- was Rogue resuscitated after his prolonged immersion?
- did the circus manager point out that "People must be amuthed"?
- did the curate speak for one hour and 25 minutes at an anti-slavery meeting?
- did a little, yellow high-shouldered man, with a fixed grim smile, tell about a queer client?
- did the landlord report that Phil was so drunk that a boy might take him?
- did the Yorkshire schoolmaster interview tutors and pupils?
- did the strange man stir his rum-and-water with a file?
- did the hangman bind the old man to his chair?
- Who remained a bachelor?
- Who had been ADC to Mad Anthony?
- Who was described as a withered little apple-john?
- Whose nickname was perfect for a slogan of approval?
- Who enlisted as a private, but came out as a brevet major?
- Who maintained that silence ensured no need for repetition?
- Who, in his youth, admitted to cutting down a cherry tree?
- George Washington - TJCS
- Who compared his strength to that of a male cervid?
- Who is remembered, nominally, in West Africa?
- Which two died on the same day?
14) Within the capital of which member state of the United Nations will you find:
- that its alright?
- a Windermere resident?
- a West Country watercourse?
- a pudding distinguished by –ladies' fingers?
- a simian representative?
- a Tibetan monk?
- a semi-metal?
15) Who: [Birds]
- was morally pure in EC2?
- shot Buffalo Bill at Belvedere, Ohio?
- Clarice Starling (silence of the Lambs) - GACJ
- went to the wrong church for her wedding?
- Fanny Robin (Far from the Madding Crowd) - GACJ
- believed, erroneously, that –Byron murdered Ezra Chater?
- killed Lord Frederick in a duel, following his return from Belgium?
- possessed nothing but the –contents of his wallet, the clothes he stood up in, the hare-lip, the automatic he should have left behind?
- was as little interested in love as in the habits of Trematodes?
- wore white for her immolation on October 27?
- advocated unlimited slaughter of bluejays?
- posed as Doctor Copernicus?
16) Following my leader, who or what:
- is a Hampshire jewel?
- decorated Findlater's label?
- is meteorologically striking?
- houses Colum Cille's shrine?
- could be wild duck washed down with Ch. Latour?
- might refer to poor Sarah's biliary obstruction?
- is absolutely necessary to a ram?
- was Anastasia's great aunt?
- could have been a crusader?
- is a –musteline appendage?
17) In which town:
- did prisoner 24601 steal the episcopal silver?
- Digne (Les Miserables) - GACJ
- did Lady de Winter poison the novice at the convent?
- was the cathedral like a vast boudoir prepared for Emma?
- did Jake, dining alone, drink a bottle of Ch. Margaux for company?
- did Duhamel ask that the crayfish should be very lightly boiled just seized?
- did la Baronne de la Chalonnière encounter Alexander Duggan at the Hôtel du Cerf?
- did Holmes spend some months in a research into coal-tar derivatives?
- were plum-coloured shoes removed to expose red stockings?
- did Harry urge his uncle to enter and fortify the town?
- did Hannay receive hellish news from Laidlaw?
18) During 2008:
- which gartered kiwi was laid to rest?
- Sir Edmund Hillary - AMK / Clarrie
- which fine food has gained PGS in Leicestershire?
- Melton Mowbray Pork Pie - TJCS
- who, following 2nd at 2K with 3 others, got 1st at 3K alone?
- which sometime bulbous plant would seem to be involved with "arthrology"?
- who made successive day trips to Abergele, Fountains Abbey and Mugdock?
- where has the pancake bell ceased to signal the start of a race owing to health and safety issues?
- Olney - AMK
- where did a giant arachnid briefly invade an apparently –coleopteran habitat?
- what legendary diamond fell to the successors of the fictitious Misson?
- who got six months for dis–honesty at White Plains?
- whose jobcentre manager fetched £17.2m?