A frequently asked question on the Change Ringers email list over the years has been - "How much do other towers charge for ringing at weddings?". This table has been compiled to record this information, and other towers are encouraged to add to it.
At most towers, ringers tend to be paid from around £10 to £20, but it can be significantly more for some towers in London! Some towers also include a donation to the Bell Fund as well as their ringing so they may be higher than the rope fee times the number of Bells. If a tower has a separate tower fund it is a good idea to include a donation to the fund as you can get money to have an inspection on your bells every year.
At most towers, if they say both or after, they may also be able to just do before.
- At Chesterfield, the fees are increasing to £25/rope from January 2009 (£250 for bells out of how much for the rest!)
- At Chesterton, ringers get £10 each on Saturdays and £12 on weekdays. Ringer-up gets a fiver.
- At Eccleshall, ringers driving to get to the tower are paid an extra £2.
- At Harwich, local ringers tend not to take their money, although it is always offered. Visiting ringers are paid £10.
- At Rainhill, St Bart's has a reduced fee, approx 60%, for before or after. Flat rate for weekdays is £150 (£20 per rope).
- At Whitchurch, the Ringers Charge £2 extra per rope for Before and After.
- At Warfield, usually 8 bells are rung, but may be only 6 if shortage of people.
- At Churchdown, £60 from the fee goes to the tower fund, the fee for weekday weddings is £200 of which £80 goes to the tower fund.
- At St Clement Danes, the fees are £35 per ringer. With a choice of 6, 8 or ten. Fees are doubled if before and after is required. There is a fee of £20 paid for ringing the bells up before the service if ringing out is required. There is a fee of £20 for arranging the band. And the church gets a fee of £40. The new fees haven't meant a loss of requests for bells.
- At Clerkenwell there is a choice of 6 or 8. £25 per ringer. Fees doubled if ringing in and out is required. Double fee for the ringer ringing up the bells. Plus a tower fee of £25.
List by Tower
|Tower||When ringing||Rope Fee (£)||Total Fee (£)||Bells||Price from:|
|Alfriston, St Andrew, Sussex,||after only||8.00||50.00||6||2007-08-27|
|Aston Tirrold, Oxon, S Michael||15.00||90.00||6||2008-01-01|
|Barrow-upon-Humber, N Lincs.||after only||5.00||60.00||8||2006-10-11|
|Beckenham, Kent, St George||Before & after||15.00||6-10||2006-08-09|
|Birmingham, St Paul 6 bells||before or after||20.00||160.00||6||2006-10-10|
|Birmingham, St Paul 6 bells||before & after||30.00||220.00||6||2006-10-10|
|Birmingham, St Paul 8 bells||before or after||20.00||200.00||8||2006-10-10|
|Birmingham, St Paul 8 bells||before & after||30.00||280.00||8||2006-10-10|
|Bishopstoke, Hants, St Mary 10 bells||after only||10.00||100.00||8||2008-06-29|
|Blewbury, Oxon, S Michael & All Angels||15.00||120.00||8||2008-01-01|
|Boston, Massachusetts, Christ Church||130.00||5-8||2005-09-25|
|Brailsford, Derbyshire||after only||15.00||90.00||6||2007|
|Brailsford, Derbyshire||before & after||20.00||120.00||6||2007|
|Brampton, Cambridgeshire||after only||10.00||80.00||6||2007-01-01|
|Broughton, N Lincs||after only||9.00||54.00||6||2006-10-11|
|Broughton, Staffs||before or after||10.00||80.00||8||2008-03-01|
|Cambridge, Cambs, Gt St Mary||10.00||120.00||6-12||2006-01-17|
|Charlton Kings, Glos, St Mary||after only||10.00||90.00||8||2008-06-05|
|Chesterfield, Derbys, St Mary & All Ss||any||17.00||170.00||6-10||2007-01-01|
|Chesterton, Cambs, St Andrew*||after only||10.00||100.00||6||2006-02-17|
|Chesterton, Cambs, St Andrew||before & after||20.00||150.00||6||2008-05-08|
|Cheltenham, St Mark||after only||10.00||100.00||6-8||2008-03-01|
|Cherry Hinton, Cambs||after only||10.00||100.00||6||2008-03-01|
|Churchdown, Gloucestershire*||before & after||15.00||150.00||6||2008-08-01|
|East Hagbourne, Oxon, S Andrew||after only||15.00||120.00||8||2008-01-01|
|East Meon||after only||10.00||120.00||8||2008-01-01|
|Eccleshall, Staffs||before or after||7.00||67.30||8||2008-01-01|
|Eccleshall, Staffs||before & after||17.00||150.00||8||2008-01-01|
|Great Horwood, Bucks. St James||both or after||10.00||60.00||6||2007-11-17|
|Kensington,St Mary Abbots||both or after||40/80||400/800||10||2008|
|Liverpool, Merseyside, Pier Head||11.00||66.00||6||2005-09-03|
|Liverpool, Merseyside, Tuebrook||15.00||90.00||6||2005-09-03|
|Llanfrechfa, Gwent, All Saints||5.00||50.00||6-8||2006-10-11|
|Llantarnam, Gwent, St Michael & All Angels||6.00||40.00||6||2006-10-11|
|London, St Clement Danes*||before after/both||35/70||430/760||6-8-10||2009-01-11|
|Melbourne, Derbys, SS Michael & Mary||10.00||100.00||8||2005-09-03|
|Newcastle, Jesmond,||before & after||10.00||80.00||8||2007-09-20|
|North Marston, Bucks. Assumption B.V.M||both or after||10.00||70.00||6||2007-11-17|
|North Moreton, Oxon, All Saints||15.00||75.00||5||2008-01-01|
|Oaks-in-Charnwood, Leics, St James||after only||10.00||100.00||8||2008-06-18|
|Quainton, Bucks. Holy Cross and St. Mary||both or after||11.00||100.00||6-8||2008-01-23|
|Rainhill, Merseyside, St Bart's *||both or either||15.00||120.00||6||2006-01-01|
|Sheffield, Cathedral, SS Peter & Paul||12.00||150.00||8-12||2006-02-17|
|Shedfield, Hants, St John the Baptist||after only||12.00||120.00||8||2008 & 2009|
|Staines, Surrey, St Mary / St Peter (same)||before or after||7.00||8||2008|
|Staines, Surrey, St Mary / St Peter (same)||before & after||14.00||8||2008|
|Stoke-next-Guildford, Surrey, S.J.E.||15.00||120.00||6||2006-10-09|
|Sydney, St Mary's Cathedral||both||24.18||241.76||8||2008-07-01|
|Sydney, St Philip's||both||19.34||203.08||8||2006-08-01|
|Thrumpton, Nottingham||before & after||18.00||120.00||6||2006-10-10|
|Waddington, Lincoln||after only||6.00||6||2008|
|Warfield, Bracknell *||after only||10.00||8||2008|
|Wargrave, Berkshire||after only||15.00||175.00||8||2009-01-09|
|Westminster,London,St Clement Danes||before/or after/both||35/70||6-10||2009|
|Widcombe, Bath,||before & after||20.00||160.00||8||2007-09-20|
|Winslow, Bucks. St. Laurence||both or after||10.00||80.00||8||2007-11-17|
|Whitchurch, Bucks. St. John Evangelist||both or after*||20.00||120.00||6||2008-01-23|
|Yelvertoft, All Saints||10.00||60.00||6||2006-10-09|